Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Florida Vacation (Part 2 - The Cruise)

Day 1.
We arrived at the Jacksonville port around 11 AM.  A lot of people were already there looking to start boarding the ship that was towering over us.  We dropped our baggage with the porters and went into a room to go through security and registration.  There I saw a long line of people trying to do all the same things.  I noticed that a lot of passengers had a small round patch behind their ear.  I assumed it was a nicotine patch.   I was wrong - these patches were from sea sickness.  After about one hour of slowly moving toward the entrance of the ship through zigzagging lines we came to a place where photographers were taking shots of happy travelers.  Unfortunately, we did not look so happy because we were hungry, tired, and just informed that we could not go to our room - it was still being cleaned.  Instead, we were asked to go straight to the top deck where the lunch was being served.


When we got there I was a bit surprised to see some people already in the swimming pool.  I mean, how did they get a chance to change if the rooms were still closed?  This is what I call preparation!  After having our lunch we finally got to our room.  There we were greeted by a seal made out of a towel.

The room was not as small as I imagined it.  The kids definitely loved the pullout beds.
We were sill tired from the long overnight drive (well I was) so we did not do too much.  The ship started sailing at 4 PM and at 6 PM we went to the restaurant where we had our reserved table for the duration of the cruise. The restaurant was spectacular and the food was great too.  However, I could not help but notice that the ship was swaying ever so slightly from side to side.   I could feel every move, which kind of scared me, but I was trying to keep my mind off of this.

Well, the day was slowly coming to an end.  We were all very tired and quickly fell asleep.  But this was not the end of the Day 1 - not for me.  Suddenly I woke up.  It was around 3 o'clock at night.  I felt sick and I could feel every vibration of the ship with my stomach. I thought that I will feel like that for all 5 days on the cruise and I started  to have a real panic attack.  "What am I doing on this ship???", "Why did I decide to go in the cruise in the first place???"  Those were the thoughts that were entering my mind.  I started to hyperventilate and nearly passed out.  Luckily,  I managed to pull myself together, calm down and fall asleep.    This never happened again, thank God!

To be continued...

1 comment: